The great poet Rumi wrote, “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.” Could you meet yourself in that field of love and acceptance? What if we stopped judging ourselves when we misstep? I’d like to live in a field of self love and self acceptance, yet I am still on my journey, stretching myself inward.
My eyes are open to my old story of, “I was not supported in my life and it wasn’t fair”. This is an interpreted story of my life. Today, I challenge myself to go to those memories, make peace with them and see them differently. When my emotions bubble up, I can say, ”I forgive myself for buying into the idea that this situation wasn’t for my highest good. I get to start each moment anew and decide who I want to be in the world.”
When I forgive from my ego, I participate in wrong-making and stay attached to judgment. In contrast, when I step into compassionate self-forgiveness, I stand in responsibility and ownership of my part of the situation. I am responsible for my upset, no one makes me upset. Once this opening occurs within me, I have the opportunity to release my judgment and apply love to my emotional pain.
I love how this exercise opens my heart. I practiced this exercise at the University of Santa Monica under the guidance of Drs. Ron and Mary Hulnick. They shared, “Remember, you are not your thoughts, feelings, or behavior; you are worthwhile and lovable independent of any of your expressions or experiences. You are a Divine being having a human experience. Whatever you are experiencing, it is okay. In this moment, accept your Divinity and accept your Humanity.” Every word of the paragraph above fills my heart with knowing that I don’t have to be perfect to be lovable and that I can forgive my missteps with compassion.
I use this exercise daily, as instructed by Drs. Ron and Mary Hulnick. First, I explore a situation that triggers disturbance in my life and any judgments I have placed against myself or someone else regarding the situation. I then place my hand on my heart to connect with my inner guidance, or I visualize my beloved pet or my daughter to open my heart. I spend a few moments tuning into my understanding that I am not my performance and neither is anyone else. We are all human and we are all worthy of love. I then begin to offer forgiveness. The beauty of this opening often sends tears running down my face.
Through this exercise I was able to open up and move forward my awareness in these ways:
- I forgive myself for buying into the misconception that my father’s parenting style meant that I was unlovable and unworthy of being successful on my own.
- I forgive myself for judging myself as stupid for staying in an ill-fitting job for so long.
- I forgive myself for judging my spiritual process as too slow or not good enough.
- I forgive myself for judging myself as unworthy of becoming financially abundant while doing something I love.
- I forgive myself for buying into the belief that acting perfect, looking perfect, having a perfect house and perfect things will make me lovable, happy and worthy.
- I forgive myself for judging myself as unworthy of surrendering to God’s purpose.
- I forgive myself for judging myself for all the times I didn’t trust that the universe has my back.
- I forgive myself for judging myself for all the times I acted from my wounds.
Thank you for hearing me and for joining me on this journey we call life. I hope my sharing inspires you to continue your own deep dive introspective work. I love the analogy that one drop of water in the ocean makes the entire ocean rise. As each of us raise our consciousness, we raise the level of all of humanity. You matter. Your growth makes a difference in this world. Join with me to raise your consciousness, my consciousness, and that of the world.
I am interested to know if you have a forgiveness practice. Do you forgive easily? I’d love to hear your thoughts and reflections.
Please let me know if I can be of service to your evolution. If you would like to be held energetically through a supportive heart-opening Reconnective Healing session, I am here. To schedule, click HERE.
Holding You in Love & Light,
I would love to connect with you through Instagram @andreadrealuzon